The Malaysian Bar is an independent bar that was created under the Advocates and Solicitors Ordinance, 1947 and subsequently replaced by the Legal Profession Act, 1976. It comprises of 38 members who are all annually elected to hold office, election is done in a democratic process through postal ballot. The Bar council takes office from the conclusion of the Annual General Meeting and continues to function till the subsequent AGM.
The Malaysian Bar aims to ‘uphold the rule of law and the cause of justice and to protect the interest of the legal profession as well as that of the public.’
A few objective are enumerated below:
- To maintain, protect and facilitate the standard of conduct and learning of the legal profession in Malaysia
- Assist the public in all matters ancillary or incidental to the law.
- Express opinions on matters relating to legislation and administration, when asked.
- Uphold the cause of justice without any fear and favour.
- Represent and protect members of the legal profession. Among others.
For more information log onto: www.malaysianbar.org.my
The current president is Mr. Christopher Leong.